Thursday, May 3, 2012

Musical Inspiration

Music and fashion are inextricably linked, and I think that everyone can agree that generally musicians have pretty fabulous style. Taking style cues from rock stars adds a bit of edge or cool-factor to an outfit. Sadly, when I was younger my musical tastes did not lead to great style. I was a fashion victim of the Spice Girls. I had it all: a lime green pleather jacket, giant foam platforms, and babydoll dresses. It was not my best look. Today, though, I feel that by looking back a little further in musical history my style icons are more likely to inspire a look that I won't be embarrassed of in ten years. Here are a few of my favorite rock star style icons.


Debbie Harry






 The original bottle-blonde rock star, Blondie front woman Debbie Harry was the only woman in an all-male band. As the queen of new-wave punk in the 1970s, Ms. Harry's style was so cool. The tousled blonde hair, skin-tight denim, and tank tops combined with a good dose of attitude equals a style that endures. The rock star attitude really is what makes this all work, though. Remember that!

Tina Turner









Tina Turner, the Queen of Rock and Roll. She started out as one half of Ike and Tina, divorced the abusive Ike, and went on to have a solo career that far eclipsed his. There really are no words to descibe how epic Tina truely is. I mean, the hair, the short, sparkly dresses, the LEGS! And this woman can sing! Even well into her 60s, Tina gave Beyonce a run for her money at the Grammys in skin-tight silver pants, belting out Proud Mary. Go Tina!


Bruce Springsteen







I don't want to leave the boys out, so for all the gents out there who read my blog, take a cue from the Boss and try tight jeans and leather, accessorized with a guitar. Bruce Springsteen's all-American look is always in style!


No comments:

Post a Comment